All measurement are made with the range ruler. The ruler is 1' long. It has two sides: the range side and the distance side.
The range side is divided into three range bands: close, medium, and long.
- The bottom of the ruler is the edge at the close-range end of the ruler.
- When measuring with the range ruler, use only a single edge of the ruler; do not factor in the width and thickness of the ruler.
- The lines on the ruler that divide two adjacent bands always count as part of the band closest to the bottom of the ruler.
- The following terms are used when discussing range and distance:
- At: If any portion of a hull zone, base, or token is inside a specified band, that component is at that band.
- Beyond: If no portion of a hull zone, base, or token is inside a specified band or a band closer to the bottom of the ruler, that component is beyond the specified band.
- Within: If the entirety of a base or token is inside a specified band, that component is within that band.
- Minimum–Maximum: This abbreviation encompasses the minimum band, maximum band, and all bands in-between, such as “distance 1–4.”
- Players can measure with either side of the range ruler at any time.